New Hampshire Votes in Primary Election

Voters in the northeastern state of New Hampshire are going to the polls in a crucial test for the six Republicans vying for the right to challenge President Barack Obama in November. The first-in-the-nation New Hampshire primary is historically significant for those seeking the White House.


On the eve of the primary, former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney projected confidence.




“I love New Hampshire and I appreciate your willingness to welcome us here tonight and if I am president of the United States I will not forget New Hampshire," Romney said. "I will make sure that New Hampshire has a place in the White House if I am president of the United States.”



Romney leads in all the polls here and a convincing victory in New Hampshire would bolster his frontrunner status for the Republican nomination.



But Romney has been put on the defensive about his background in business and sensitivity to workers being laid off, and some of his rivals are trying to take advantage.



Former Utah governor Jon Huntsman told NBC’s Today program that a good showing in New Hampshire would be a major boost for his campaign.



“If we can move out of New Hampshire with a head of steam we will prove the issue of electability, which is the one thing that will be on the minds of voters in South Carolina and beyond,” Huntsman said.



Huntsman won the vote of Sue, from Concord, who four years ago supported Barack Obama.



“I just want to see someone good in office. I actually voted for Barack [Obama] last time and I think he is struggling," she said. "He is really struggling and I feel bad because I liked his message. But voting is kind of hard because you do not know if they are going to be able to do it or not.”



Also doing well in the polls here is Texas Congressman Ron Paul, generally in second place behind Romney.



“It is the freedom state, you know, ‘Live Free or Die’ [state motto]. I mean I have got to do well here,” Paul said.



Paul had his supporters at a Concord polling station, including Brian Neal.



“I supported Ron Paul. I like his views," Neal said. "I think he runs a clean campaign and I think he is the person we need.”



But many other voters here remain undecided. Carol Conti is trying to decide between Romney and Huntsman.



“It is a global economy. I want America to be strong again and I think we need a strong person in the presidency,” Conti said.



A Romney win, following his narrow victory in Iowa last week, could give the former Massachusetts governor a huge advantage as the series of caucus and primary votes unfold across the country during the next few months.



Polls show Romney leading in the next two contests, South Carolina and Florida. But some of Romney’s conservative rivals like former Pennsylvania senator Rick Santorum, former U.S. House speaker Newt Gingrich, and Texas Governor Rick Perry are all hoping for a strong showing in South Carolina to slow Romney down.



Speaking Tuesday outside a polling station in the city of Manchester, presidential candidate and former congressman Newt Gingrich said voters will have to think twice about putting their support behind Romney if he continues to "misstate" his positions.



fuente: La Voz de América, http://www.voanews.com/english/news/usa/-Voting-Begins-in-First-Primary-of-2012-US-Presidential-Election-137012658.html

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

Las 3 banderas de Chile

FALLECE ROY GARBER, UNO DE LOS PROTAGONISTAS DE LA SERIE “GUERRA DE ENVÍOS” EN A&E

Falleció hija de dos años de la periodista Mónica Rincón.Clara Galdames dejó de existir en horas de esta mañana, tras llevar días internada en la UTI por problemas al corazón. La niña había presentado complicaciones físicas desde su nacimiento.